When you hear people say, what do you do to feel relaxed, what comes up for you? Do you find yourself feeling stuck? You're not alone! When it comes to “relaxing” some of us might know ways to de-stress but for others it might be quite difficult to try or find ways to relax. If you are trying to find ways to relax, don’t worry we’re here to help by listing various ways to relax.
There are so many benefits for relaxation, there is research stating that it helps reduce muscle tension and stress, helps prevent depression, anxiety, and obesity, and lastly boost your immune system. This proves that relaxing is important for our mental and physical health.
Here are some things you can try or incorporate into your self-care routine to help you relax:
1. Meditation: meditation can help produce a deep state of relaxation- you focus on your attention and eliminate the stream of jumbled thoughts that may be causing stress. All you need is to sit down, close your eyes, and bring your attention to your breath.
2. Breathing techniques: breathing techniques can be helpful to relax in the moment. You can try this anywhere and at any time. Breathing in air through your abdomen and breathing out releasing all your tension. You can practice this for at least 5 minutes or less. A simple and easy to remember technique is square breathing which can be done by breathing in for a count of 4, hold your breath for a count of 4, exhale for a count of 4, and pause for a count of 4 before repeating again. You may choose to imagine a square as you're doing this exercise or imagine whatever image that brings you a sense of relaxation or calm
3. Listen to music: Experts have found that music can have an instant calming effect on our mind and body. Listen to your favorite music- it can help reduce your anxiety, heart rate, and blood pressure.
.4. Get some sun: Going out for a walk, getting some fresh air, and feeling the warm sun can make you feel at ease and ready to take over the day. Vitamin D from the sunshine can lift your mood instantly.
5. Practice creative visualization: Mentally imagine what you want- your goals, objectives, dreams, and think about how you want to feel about it. Use your senses to create a vivid experience. Notice what you sear, hear, smell, feel, and taste.
6. Take some alone time: Spend some time alone and gather your thoughts and emotions. Spending 5 minutes with yourself can help you calm down.
These are ways you can try to help you feel relaxed, there are other ways you can explore ways to relax. However, if you still need support to find ways to feel more at ease.; you can seek help at our practice by requesting a free phone consultation to speak with one of our therapists.
We all have innate skills to change our lives. Wellness Tree Counseling Services offers a wide range of mental health and wellness services to empower and equip you with refined skills to heal. We focus on the whole person and have specific trainings to tailor services to your needs.
Our mission at Wellness Tree Counseling Services is to promote wellness through a culturally sensitive lens so that individuals, families and communities are encouraged to rise to their full potential and engage life in meaningful ways. To learn more about our services, please visit www.wellnesstreecounseling.com